A highly sensitive person is someone who is affected tremendously by the energy around them. Others will call HSPs sensitive and claim they have to “walk on eggshells around them.” HSPs tend to overthink, have high anxiety, an overactive mind, insomnia, and digestive issues… the list goes on. HSPs tend to be uncomfortable with a lot of people and noise around them. Life can get pretty rough for highly sensitive people, but we must remember it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Since they can feel energy so intensely, they’re often empaths. An empath is a person who can sense subtle changes in emotions, energy, and feel other people’s emotions so deeply they mistake them as their own. They can just feel it. HSPs are born like this and their DNA shows an actual distinction from others. How would the world go on without their soft-compassionate hearts? Here are ways I’ve learned to stay balanced and take care of myself as a highly sensitive person.
- Avoid violent shows and media. I’ve noticed as an HSP, the news fills me with guilt and fear, two of the lowest vibrations. HSPs are affected twice as much by negativity and violence, as it goes completely against our sensitve nature. A couple months ago I watched a movie with unnecessary violence, unhealthy lifestyle choices with drugs and drinking, violent swearing… I was up all night with nightmares from scenes from the movie, and I never have nightmares. As an HSP the media you consume affects you on a deeper level, choose wisely.
2. The foods an HSP eats affects them as well, everything from physical health to emotional health and energy levels. Eating healthier foods such as fruits, vegetables, grains, and less sugar have helped me feel overall more balanced. When I eat fast food, meat, and dairy I tend to feel weighed down, depressed, and lethargic. Our bodies are very sensitive as HSPs, so that means we have to put in extra work to take care of it. Highly sensitive people need lots of water too.
3. HSPs often need more sleep than most people. It can be very difficult to turn off our brains at night. Our bodies also need lots of rest due to handling so much energy all the time (not only our own energy but others’ too). So if you’re feeling extra drained and sensitive one day, don’t feel bad for hitting that snooze a couple… hundred times.
4. Since HSPs are affected by all the energy around them, daily energy cleansings are a must. You can simply clear your energy by holding the intention, “I clear any energy which is not positive or from my own body and aura.” Some other options are using elements such as sage, incense, candles and crystals, smoke, and water. Smoke and fire help get rid of negative stagnant energy, but in order to use these techniques, you must have a window open, otherwise you’re just trapping all the stirred negative energy inside. Last but not least, you can visualize all the negativity from the day washing down the drain as you shower. People tend to think a lot while in the shower, so taking those small moments for mindful breaths and visualization can make all the difference.
5. All HSPs should consider yoga and meditation. Yoga allows us to release trapped energy within the body while also staying active. There are many different kinds of yoga, but for an HSP who’s struggling to stay balanced I recommend gentle yoga with deep breathing. Meditation allows you to retrain your brain to not engage with every thought in your mind, but to instead observe it. Like I said before, it can be difficult to turn the brain off, so some daily training makes the world of difference.
6. HSPs need alone time quite often. Just like anyone else, we enjoy spending time with others, but we need more time to reset in between. I’ve noticed whenever I try to go go go without setting healthy boundaries, I burn out and end up throwing myself off balance for longer. So if you need time for yourself, do not feel bad. Relax and recenter with your favorite activities, alone.
7. HSPs benefit from taking nature detox breaks, as well as gentle shifts in diet. Taking a break from technology and the material world can be a quick and effective way to elevate your mood and balance your energy. Sunlight goes a long way. As well as drinking warm herbal teas and detoxing drinks to help us connect closer to Earth energy. We must take moments to pause and just be present, the world can demand too much sometimes.
8. Last but not least, work on that throat and heart chakra. As an HSP it can be easy to be labeled as sensitive and over dramatic, but do not be afraid to stand in your power. Practice honoring yourself and asking for what you need, when you need it. Listen to your body in moments of anxiety and ask yourself: what do I need in this moment? Whatever comes to your mind, whether a shower, calling a friend, or clocking out from the world for the night, do it. Do not resist who you are anymore, embrace it.
I hope these tips can help others like me. Love Shi.